gEDA-user: gerbv 1.0 on RH8

Hi,

In order to help others I am posting few findings regarding gerbv 1.0 on RH8.
Here they go:

- I could compile old gerbv 0.16 on stock RH8.0 without any  problems.
It worked OK. Exporting to png core dumped once in a while on some of
14 systems.

- I could NOT build new gerbv 1.0 with png support on stock RH8
- however, I could build gerbv 1.0 WITHOUT png support
- Building libpng with the file downloaded from here
ftp://ftp.geda.seul.org/pub/geda/dist/libpng-1.2.1.tar.gz did NOT
help.
- After  downloading libpng-1.2.8-config.tar.gz from here
and build it, I was able to build gerbv 1.0 on stock RH8

To make long story short. In order to  install the program on stock RH8 do

 0. download gerbv 1.0 from  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gerbv/
 1. download libpng from
ftp://ftp.geda.seul.org/pub/geda/dist/libpng-1.2.1.tar.gz
 2. download libpng-1.2.8-config.tar.gz from

 3. tar xvfz libpng-1.2.1.tar.gz
 4. cd libpng-1.2.1
 5. copy appropriate makefile from "scripts" to Makefile in the
current directory
 6. make
 7. su
 8. make install

 9. tar xvfz libpng-1.2.8-config.tar.gz
10. cd libpng-1.2.8-config
11. ./configure
12. make
13. su
14. make install

15. tar xvfz gerbv-1.0.0.tar.gz
16. cd gerbv-1.0.0
17. ./configure
18. make
19. su
20. make install

I am assuming (with no data which could support my assumption) that
steps 3,4,5,6,7,8 are NOT necessary...   but hey, it works for me.
I've build gerbv 1.0 on stock RH8.

Igor