gEDA-user: Removing soldermask over traces/polygons in PCB?

I would like to create areas of bare copper, with no soldermask.  In
particular, I'd like to create grounded guard bands around the edges
of my board to protect against ESD during handling of the board.  To
see what I'm trying to do, have a look at the last two slides of:

  http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~benedict/pcbpres.pdf

As far as I can tell, only pads seem to clear the soldermask.  Is it
possible to get PCB to clear the soldermask over a trace or polygon?

Thanks,

Randall Nortman