gEDA-user: How to change the background colour in PCB

Hello,

After much futzing around, I've finally gotten the workflow of the gEDA suite
more or less working.  However, there is still one thing that is driving me
absolutely batty: the white background in PCB.

In looking through the archives, I've seen it mentioned that one way to do this
is by setting x resources with xrdb -merge.  However, this is failing to work
for me.  The lines in my .Xresources file are as follows:

pcb.masterForm*output*background: black
pcb.elementColor: gray80

and I load it explicitly with xrdb -merge.  If I go xrdb -query, I see the above
two lines, so they are being set.  Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?
I am executing PCB on a remote debian machine (running the version in
debian/unstable) and displaying under Xfree86 under OS X.

Why, oh why, can't PCB use a dotfile for its preferences like this, like any
other sane program?

Thanks,

Hans Johnson

--
Hans Johnson (hjohnson@xxxxxx)

... Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. -- Anonymous