gEDA-user: Bug/Oddity in interaction between PCB and gsch2pcb

Hi Folks,

I don't know if I'm the first one to notice this, but I've discovered
a bit of an oddity with the way that PCB handles loading the
simplified elements from a .pcb file, and how it relates to elements
with sparse pin numbering.

Take for example, the Oscillator defined in the ~geda library.
Despite being a DIP14 form factor, it's only got 4 pint (1,7,8,14).
When you place this on a schematic, and set the footprint to OSC14,
and run gsch2pcb on it, it initially creates a .pcb file that looks
sane.  However, when you actually load this .pcb file with PCB, PCB
renumbers the pins to 1,2,3,4, and leaves the original numbers in
descriptions or whatever.  This totally breaks the netlisting.
However, if I go in and change the .pcb file after saving with PCB,
everything seems to be happy.

The same thing happens whether i'm using an m4 element, or a file
element I created myself.

I am using pcb 1.99p, the version that is shipping with debian/unstable.

It seems that when PCB is doing the conversion process on load, it's
simply sticking the iterator in the pin number field, rather then the
actual pin number.  I'll dig through the code to see if I can find
where this is, but I'd thought i'd post here first.

Regards,

Hans
--
Hans Johnson (hjohnson@xxxxxx)

... Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. -- Anonymous