RE: gEDA-user: footprint licensing

> I do, however, have one question: Exactly how does the gpl
> play into the use of elements/footprints in commerical
> designs? Would someone on this list who is who has been
> there/done that, chime in?!

I don't know, but I would suggest that if you were to go ahead with this project you should get legal advice as to the best license to choose for the purpose, to avoid another company nicking your work, sticking their branding on it and selling it as a commercial package.

My gut feeling is that using an element/footprint amounts to copying.  Therefore, a commercial design using a GPL footprint would have to be GPLed.  You may wish to investigate the BSD license.

Alternatively, you could ask Groklaw (http://wwww.groklaw.net).  Lots of experts on Free & Open Source Licensing hang out there.

HTH,

Peter