Re: gEDA-user: More footprint stuff

On Thursday 27 January 2005 9:59 pm, Magnus Danielson wrote:
> From: Marvin Dickens <marvindickens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: gEDA-user: More footprint stuff
> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:41:57 -0500
>
> > On Thursday 27 January 2005 8:26 pm, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > > The basic problem with software is explained by Capitalist Economics
> > > 101:  Software's marginal cost of reproduction is basically nil, so
> > > in a ideally competitive market its price will tend over time to
> > > zero.  Ways to get around this iron law of economics are:
> > >
> > > *  Disrupt perfect competition, e.g. somehow become a monopoly, or
> > >    prevent customers from having a real choice in the market place.
> > >

> > > *  Keep the market in flux via research and/or constant introduction
> > >    of new features/products, so that prices can never asymptote all
> > >    the way to zero.
> > >
> > > *  Don't sell software.  Give it away as a loss-leader for some other
> > >    product which doesn't have zero cost of reproduction.
> > >

> > > You can see all three methods at play in the real world all the time.
> > >
> > > Stuart
> >
> > There is always IBM's favorite: Tie the software to the hardware so you
> > can't use the hardware without the software and visa-versa.
>
> Actually, it wasn't until IBM started charging for software that others
> also started to see buissness in selling software itself.
>
> If they only had avoided that step. :/

True. I also remember when I was a child back in the mid 60's my dad leased
computers from IBM. At that time, IBM did not sell them. They *only* leased
them. It wasn't until the 70's when IBM was sued for anti-trust by the
government did they begin to sell them (Which was part of the settlement
with the government).

Incidentally, it was on these leased computers that I got my first taste of
computing. As I recall, on this machine, I had the huge choice of of
programming languages: Assembler or cobol. I could, however, script using
APL and send output to a selectric typewriter. At the time, it was so cool: I
could name a file using up to *5 letters* (I could go on and on...).

And to think: The computer itself was the size of a VERY LARGE stand up
freezer. When configured with all of the peripherials, it took up a huge room
at his office.

Regards

Marvin