Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

On Saturday 29 January 2005 2:52 am, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 05:45:14PM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:42:48PM -0500, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> > > I realize that this is probably not going to popular with everybody,
> > > but it would be nice if all of the tools that require a gui were built
> > > using the same library. Preferably, one that ports really easily.
> > > It seems to me that QT is a good choice for this because for the most
> > > part, it write once and compile anywhere.
>
> Qt community edition is said to be unsupported:
> "The Qt/X11 Open Source Edition is provided with no support and no
> warranty." (http://www.trolltech.com/download/qt/x11.html)

They are talking about telephone support. The forums and mailing lists are
extremely active. As active as the GTK or gcc forums and mailing lists.

> Resolving bugs is a part of support. If they won't (as they claim), as soon
> as you hit one, you are screwed.

Again, not true.

> Cl<

This is FUD. If this were true, open source projects written in QT would never
survive. KDE is the most obvious example of an open source project written in
QT. A more recent example is Scribus, the newest *killer* application for
linux.

http://www.scribus.org.uk/

Best

Marvin