Re: gEDA-user: overwhelmed and dazed newbie

> The first I'd like to ask is: just how do you find out what the list of
> footprints are and what they map to?  For instance: if I am inserting an
> oscillator how do I specify its foot print.  It will fit in a 14 pin DIP
> wire wrap socket but only uses 4 pins....

You specify the footprint by editing (or adding) the "footprint"
attribute of the
oscillator in your schematic. Select the component (left-click) and
then right-click
and select "Edit".

Checkout the wiki at http://geda.seul.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=geda

My footprint library is at