Re: gEDA-user: lost newbie

On Friday 06 January 2006 23:22, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>>    Then you're either using the wrong capacitors or the right
>>> capacitors, depending on the desired result. ;)
>>
>> We were young.  They were the right capacitors :-)
>>
>> 120VAC into a 25v electrolytic.  Poof!  Out goes the magic smoke.
>
>   I have a hazy memory involving a large DC power supply and a box of
>electrolytics...and vodka.  That was quite the geeky party.
>
>             -Dave

And I recall one evening back in the very early 70's when I was sitting
at the kitchen table about 11 pm testing an old tube type CB radio that
I was redoing the jumpers in to convert it for 12 volt operation.

Unforch, the one pair of jumpers I missed on the schematic had left the
vibrator (remember those?) and plate transformer still wired for 6
volts.  The radio worked great on 12 volts, until one of the filter
cans made a dent about 1/2" deep in the plaster ceiling.  The kids,
trying to get some sleep upstairs, thought I was shooting at them.

Messy, took a couple of hours to clean that up.  Stinky too.  Probably
had over 600 volts on 450 volt rated caps.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: