RE: gEDA-user: gnetlist finding "U?"

I've grepped "U?" with no luck. The netlist reports node "U?-?" is connect to the ground node, to which a large number of other pins are connected.

I'm pretty sure it's related to a special object like a ground or io symbol, but I'm kinda fuzzy on how those should be created and treated.

There is the following code in s_net.c, which is one of the source files for gnetlist; I looked here for a clue, but I'm unfamiliar with the method gnetlist uses:
    /* apply the hierarchy name to the uref */
    uref = s_hierarchy_create_uref(pr_current, temp_uref, hierarchy_tag);

    if (uref && pinnum) {
        string = (char *) malloc(sizeof(char) *
                                 strlen(uref) + strlen(pinnum) +
                                 strlen("  ") + 1);

        sprintf(string, "%s %s", uref, pinnum);
    } else {
        if (pinnum) {
            string = (char *) malloc(sizeof(char) *
                                     strlen(pinnum) +
                                     strlen("POWER") + strlen("  ") + 1);
            sprintf(string, "POWER %s", pinnum);
        } else {
            string = (char *) malloc(sizeof(char) *
                                     strlen("U?") + strlen("?") +
                                     strlen("  ") + 1 + hierarchy_tag_len);

            if (hierarchy_tag) {
                misc =
                    s_hierarchy_create_uref(pr_current, "U?",
                                            hierarchy_tag);
                sprintf(string, "%s ?", misc);
                free(misc);
            } else {
                sprintf(string, "U? ?");
            }

            fprintf(stderr, "Missing Attributes (refdes and pin number)\n");
        }
    }

Marshall