Re: gEDA-user: lost newbie

On Saturday 07 January 2006 03:08 pm, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> I suggest you get a Windoze PC and download LTSpice from the
> Linear Technologies website [1].
>
> [1]  To the well-known simulation developer who e-mailed me
> recently about LTSpice:  Sorry, but LTSpice is a wonderful
> simulator.   And it's free (as in beer) too, which is
> probably all that Marc cares about.

I think you are misjudging Marc.

One question that tells me a lot about someone's technical and
computer skills and attitude is to ask "what operating system
do you run on your home computer".

Marc's answer is "gentoo linux".

Now, I will commit the evil of stereotyping here.  Gentoo is a
choice of people who are serious.  Installation requires
following a procedure several pages long.  The manual talks
about the many ways you can configure your system, and leads
you to a truly custom system, complete with a custom kernel,
and if you don't like the outcome you get enough insight to go
back and change it.  Then installing any package compiles it
from source.  It is an easy command "emerge ...." but it shows
you what it is doing and lets you tweek it.

Go to http://www.gentoo.org .  Look at the philosophy and the
social contract.  That will give you an idea why someone would
choose Gentoo.

You are telling someone who chose this system to "get a Windoze
PC"??????