Re: gEDA-user: Test pads in PCB

Dan McMahill wrote:

Stuart Brorson wrote:

Putting testpadding directly into PCB is a little tricker since PCB needs to know that the testpad is a non-netlist structure which shouldn't cause DRCs by itself (but should be checked for shorts to other nets, just like a polygon region or a via). One way to do it is to make a testpad a differentt type of via -- just like a non-plated through-hole is a different type of via. That is, you place a testpad, then click on it to edit its properties: Select "testpad", and it turs off the drill hole, and puts a metal disk on only the top (or bottom) layer.

I disagree. I think testpads _are_ a netlist structure. After all you care about the connectivity. What I'm thinking of is an action which adds a test pad to each net in the connectivity database and instantiates test pads. Perhaps there should be a mode where you can simply start placing test pads by clicking and as you do so they are added to the netlist. Then have a some manufacturing rule check which verifies that you have a testpad on every net.

-Dan

At a former job we used Mentor for most of our designs. Some engineers explicitly added test pads (at the time the schematic entry was done). The majority of the boards where they were explicitly added (with a special schematic symbol) were on RF boards where the engineer wanted a degree of control over where and how they were used. Others just left it for the person doing the PC layout. In the later case, they were not net-listed, but rather implemented as a special kind of via very much as Stuart suggests. They had different clearance rules etc. and there was an explicit check to let you know whether you had made all nets testable. I believe it would even tell you if you were trying to add a test pad to a net that already had one. It was the engineer's final call as to whether all nets had to be covered, but as a rule we came very close to 100% testability.

Joe