Re: gEDA-user: wont be watching list :(

On Jan 18, 2006, at 3:00 AM, John Sheahan wrote:
and then there is all that fan noise from many Sun boxes.
It might make them reliable, but it does'n make them nice to be near for mine.
No Sun that I own (SS20s, U5s, U30, E250, other odds and ends) is louder
than many of the P4s I work with at work. OK, maybe the Sun 3/160 is
louder than the P4 right next to my ear. But I don't think a deskside
machine from the 80s is a fair comparison for noise.

I had a SS10 10 years ??? back, and it was very pleasant to hide that around the corner with a pc running linux as an xterm. That old 486 was _much_ quieter.
Had an E250 that was also very loud. The U10 was fine, but that never seemed top be an example of one of a quality sun.

You certainly got that right. The Ultra5 and Ultra10 are real pieces of garbage, in terms of performance and quality of construction. Definitely not up to Sun's usual standard.

Today the amd64 boxes jsut seem sooo much faster.

Than an SS10 or an Ultra10? This should not be surprising. The rest of the computing world has moved forward with technology too you know. Even mainframes, considered by many inexperienced folk to be "slow old dinosaurs", have kept up the pace...and modern ones are so unbelievably powerful it's just not even funny.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Cape Coral, FL