Re: gEDA-user: uClinux

DJ Delorie wrote:

I'm looking for someone to talk to about uClinux vs. linux. Any help?

What's the question?

I'm working on a design, and am stuck on processor choice. In one case, I can use an ARM with MMU and it'll run Linux - no sweat. The other processor, Blackfin, runs uClinux. The blackfin runs significantly faster (starts at 350MHz goes to 750 I think), and has a migration path. The ARM part max's out at 200MHz, but has some useful peripherals. The blackfin has DSP - which is useful to me. It's a tough choice for me feature wise. But what about the uClinux vs. linux tradeoff?

I guess my biggest question is how well do multiple programs run simultaneously? I know that there's no memory protection, so there's always a risk of crashing another program - or the kernel for that matter. How real, or maybe better to ask what are the odds of this happening? Also am interested in running java, possibly. Not sure how well all this stuff plays together.

sorry for the stream of consciousness - sort of scattered thoughts.

gene