Re: gEDA-user: good idea - bad idea ?

> I have found it a Good Practice (TM) to have unique filenames even across
> directories, because nowadays you never know where one would drag-and-drop
> files into by accident (oops I twitched and released my index finger from
> the mouse button).

My practice has been to either use a unique name (usually including
the specific part number), or to *fix* the footprint in pcb.  Why
leave bad footprints in pcb when you know they're bad and have a
better one?

> "Experimental" during the first time in layout time,

My [recent] policy is to initially put things in a "not vetted"
subdirectory.  When the board is populated and tested, every footprint
that was correct is moved to the vetted subdir.  See
http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/dj_delorie/ for my heirarchy.