gEDA-user: Gschem to PCB pin names to numbers

Hi,

I am trying my first board with Geda.
I have entered a schematic including the symbols: nmos-3.sym and
npn-1.sym. These symbols define the pinnumbers as G,S,D and B,E,C etc.

I have set the footprint to TO220STAND. This footprint defines the pinnumbers as 1,2,3.

When I use gsch2pcb it generates a *.cmd file containing lines like
ChangePinName(Q3, E, E)
ChangePinName(Q3, C, C)
ChangePinName(Q3, B, B)

When I use: "ExecuteFile(motorControl.cmd)" within pcb I get error messages like:

"WARNING! Pin number ending with 'G' encountered in netlist file
Probably a bad netlist file format
Can't find XM3 pin G called for in netlist."

So what's wrong ?
1. Should I change the gschem symbols to use pin numbers ?
2. Should I change PCB footprints to use pin names ?
3. Do I need a pinnumber to name translation file for gsch2pcb ?
4. Is there a problem with "gsch2pcb" ?

I am using Geda under FC6 using the CVS versions from 2007-01-05 and with guile-1.6 installed rather than the default (for FC6) guile-1.8.

Cheers

Terry