Re: gEDA-user: rs232 ferrite size?

DJ Delorie wrote:

What's a good size ferrite to use on an rs232 line? I've got a spot
for a set of 0603 ferrites on my serial console lines, but I have no
idea what size (uH) ferrite to use.

The ferrite bead impedances are usually specified by a graph showing both the resistive and reactive impedance vs. frequency. Choose your curve based on what frequencies you want to filter.

One part we use a lot is a Murata BLM18AG102SN1. They are available from DigiKey. This part has a fairly high resistive component, chosen specifically for our use mainly as a power supply filter. It would also be appropriate for slower data signals like RS-232. If you were concerned about too much filtering at higher frequencies, they have other parts in this family with less of a resistive component.

Joe T