Re: gEDA-user: rs232 ferrite size?

On Jan 22, 2007, at 10:49 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:

I can't imagine why you would want one on either TX or RX... I have
never had any issues with RS232 on any board I have designed.

This board is going to be mounted to an ESD generator. I'm protecting pretty much everything.

You worried about bad bits or overvoltage? An EMI ferrite isn't going to have much effect on either for a relatively high Z interface like RS-232.

For ESD overvoltage, there are a variety of protection devices on the market. I tend to just use a dual diode clipper to the rails, followed by 100 ohms or so series resistance to the receiver input to insure most of the current goes through the diodes. And RS-232 receiver chips often have pretty good ruggedness specs.

To protect the bits, a few nF of capacitance to ground will be much more effective than an EMI bead. It'll soak up some ESD charge, too, perhaps removing the need for overvoltage protection.

If you have ringing, EMI beads at strategically chosen points in the wiring can help, but an input is generally not the right place.

Often the very best EMI medicine is to make sure your return lines are as close as possible to your signal lines. See "A TELEPHONIC CONTROVERSY SETTLED", Scientific American, Vol. XLIV, No. 8, page 113 (February 19, 1881). ;-)

jpd@xxxxxxxxx