gEDA-user: gnucap: Multi-disciplinary / mixed language simulation

Hi,

As part of my research into linear generators, it would be useful to
produce a full system level simulation combining gnucap as well as
mechanical modelling I have in Octave.

Another student has done circuit modelling for the power conversion
stage (using PSpice), and my work so far has investigated the mechanical
aspects of the system in Octave.

To solve for the system's response, I find myself implementing crude
circuit models in Octave, I wounder if there is some way to embed
gnucap, calling it to provide solutions to circuit-side aspects of the
system from within the mechanical simulation. I'm not sure how the
time-stepping of the two numerical solvers would tie together though.

I'm keen to write a gnucap model for the generator at some stage, so
more accurate modelling of arbitrary converter waveforms / control
algorithms can be evaluated for the system as a whole.

I'm currently going around in circles trying to work out whether is is
best to try and build a mechanical model of the generator into gnucap
(probably calling Octave), or to try and use gnucap to solve the
electrical problems for a "system" simulation in Octave. (Which may well
be embedded in a gui).

Anyone have any thoughts... or know of such things being done before?

Regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,