Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/gschem: is guile regex module important?

On Thursday 03 January 2008 11:16:24 Stefan Salewski wrote:
> evan foss wrote (Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:52:14 -0500)
>
> >Try flipping a pin horizontally with out it. On my box that terminates
> >gschem. I had to recompile guile with it a few days ago.
>
> Yes, gEDA/gschem version 1.2.0.20070902 terminates when I try to place
> a pin on an empty sheet or when I try to rotate a pin of a symbol (during
> creation of a new symbol).
> (Drawing schematics and modifying symbols works fine.)

The regex module is a standard part of Guile 1.6:

  If your system does not include a POSIX regular expression library,
  and you have not linked Guile with a third-party regexp library such as
  Rx, these functions will not be available.  You can tell whether your
  Guile installation includes regular expression support by checking
  whether `(provided? 'regex)' returns true.

Please report the output of:

  guile --version

There is absolutely no reason why your distribution should not provide a Guile
package linked against a regexp library, because several other tools provided
as standard with a Linux distribution require one (Perl being a good
example).  Please file this issue against your distribution's Guile package.

In the meantime, comment out the following line (843) in your system-gschemrc:

-(load-from-path "auto-place-attribs.scm")
+;(load-from-path "auto-place-attribs.scm")

I will probably fix the gschem configure script to check for the availability
of the Guile regular expression module, and to error out if it is not
present.

> Is this bug fixed in release 1.2.1 or unstable 1.3?

As far as I can tell, this is not a bug: this is an unsatisfied dependency
requirement.  It would be bad to "magically" disable the affected feature if
the regex module was not available.

                                     Peter

--
Peter Brett