Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 21:13:47 +0000
From: "a r" <nbs.public@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: KJWaves - new release

Hi Kurt,

Good piece of work. Thanks.

I have several comments/fearure requests. They may not be useful in
general case as the are mostly related to my use patterns.

1. I don't use gui tool for configuring simulation runs. Is there a
way to start KJWaves directly in the raw file (or gnucap file) viewer
mode?
P- I don't use GnuCap, so I don't know what that mode is.  I am not sure
what you mean.
1a. (just an explanation) For productivity reasons, I usually enter
simulation testbenches in a text editor and in this file I include all
the necessary model libraries, generated or extracted netlists etc. In
case of OS tools I end up entering everything by hand as there are no
good schematic editors available (pun intended).
P- have you tried using Analog analysis components in Gschem?  It works for
me.  I had to do quite a bit of trial and error first and create a few of my
own Gschem symbols...
2. vertical stacking of waveform panels
P- What does this mean?  Do you want the tabs along the left and right side
instead of along the bottom?  Which side do you prefer?
3. keyboard shortcuts in waveform viewer
P- For what, in particular?
4. Two cursor and numerical readouts (X, Y, delta, frequency and gradient).
P- That will be tough - you already get a cursor position readout by
double-clicking on the graph (see below).  Doing differentials would take
some thought for implementation -- probably need some kind of dragging
motion recognition.
5. saving&restoring the waveform view configuration.
P- Interesting. would have to think about this.  What, in particular, do you
need loaded/saved?
6. better calculator and its interface (entering formulas by hand
would do fine and treating them as regular waveforms)
P- I thought about formulas by hand, but that requires a lot of error
checking for fumble fingers.  I really didn't want to go through that pain.
7. there is a number of operations that result in exceptions being
thrown (I will try to collect some representative logs and send them
to you later)
P- PLEASE do!
8. please, remove that big knob from the waveform viewer (what is it for,
btw?)
P- The big knob is a great feature (it doesn't print nor get included in a
saved image (PNG)).  It is used to specify where the data point is annotated
(in what direction the arrow points).  For instance, let's say you want
point [3,4] to be placed at the upper right instead of below it's location
on the graph.  You would rotate the knob to point to the lower left, and
then double-click on the graph at the location for point [3,4].  Give it a
try, and then, if you have a better thought on how to place the annotations
I will try to implement that instead.  I probably should have put that
relatively new feature on the tutorial, but I thought it was obvious?!
:-0

The speed (interface only, I haven't tested kjwaves with big waveform
files yet) is very good. Installation was flawless - this is a big
advantage over gwave. Calculator, although rough around edges, has
already proven to be useful.
P- I'm glad to hear that!

If you could at least resolve points 3&5 that would make kjwaves
useful for my everyday work.

Cheers,

-r.

On Dec 31, 2007 6:57 PM, KURT PETERS <peterskurt@xxxxxxx> wrote:
 > I've just released a new version of KJWaves (available on
sourceforge.net).
 > It has the ability to read GnuCap files (requested by Al Davis) and a fix
 > the way log plots are displayed.
 >
 > Kurt Peters - Developer

End of geda-user Digest, Vol 20, Issue 13