Re: gEDA-user: KJWaves - new release (a r)

Hi Al,

I have read all the comments and, sadly, they were mostly as I expected.

The reason why I have drifted toward this topic is that I hoped you
would be interested in needs of ASIC industry engineers, so you could
improve some of gschem characteristics and make it more popular in
this environment. From this discussion, however, I have got an
impression that you are trying to teach all ASIC engineers how to use
EDA tools your way, rather than to listen to their needs.
Nevertheless, it is all your software and you decide where you want to
take it.

Again, what I would like gschem to have is:
- a coherent design database, preferably with an API for a script
language (scheme is fine),
- parametrized device symbols ready to use with typical ASIC flows,
- strong support for hierarchical designs,
- responsive UI (retained-mode canvas etc),
- sane defaults (autonumbering instances etc)

What I don't care about (and preferably I would like not to be exposed
to when using ASIC flow) is:
- all the PCB related features,
- multi-page schematics and slotted device,
- inherited connections, global grounds&supplies,

Finally, I consider gschem a fine program, assuming your target users
are component-level electronics designers in an academia environment
or electronics geeks. For industry, gschem lacks features. For
mainstream PCB designers, it has too steep learning curve.

Regards,

-r.