Re: gEDA-user: Silkscreen over pads again

Friends -

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 12:38:08PM -0500, Dan McMahill wrote:
> DJ Delorie wrote:
> > We changed our minds about this.  We changed PCB so that it showed
> > silk over pads if that's what your design calls for, so if you see
> > silk over pads on the screen, you'll get silk over pads on the board.
> >
> > The magic we chose to go with to deal with the fabs that can't handle
> > cuts is to convert all cuts to multiple polygons instead, so that we
> > never have to use cuts or negative layers.  That was what we used to
> > remove the silk, and too many fabs didn't like it.
> >
> > Which fab is it?  Are they unable to fix the problem themselves?
>
> A DRC check for silk on pads would probably be good.  In my past life,
> we always had in house reviews of the gerbers and weren't allowed to
> send them to a board vendor until there was no silk on the pads

I think the message was actually from a turn-key board manufacturer,
who will also buy the parts and stuff the board.  They apparently ran
a DRC as Dan did, before sending the Gerbers out for fab.  Since it's
not easy for PCB, they to agreed do the masking themselves.  I don't
fault them for noticing and asking me to do something about it.

I agree that a DRC for this in PCB would be nice (hmm, switchable,
default on, performed at the same time as the other DRCs).  Then I'd
take the time to fix all my footprints.  But that doesn't let Levente
  http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Jan-2008/msg00201.html
do what he wants.

   - Larry