Re: gEDA-user: [PCB] "$" characters in NetList/Net/Connect nodes

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 10:55 +0100, Didier Villevalois wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I found something strange happening when i have $ characters in Connect
> nodes in pcb files. When i try to "Optimize rats nets", pcb can't find
> elements which have refdes with a $ as the last but one character.
>
> For instance, having "J$k-1" makes pcb not find the pin 1 of element
> "J$k". However, having something like "S$k/IC1-1" doesn't seem a problem
> for pcb...
>
> Can someone help me with this ? I can't change this name as "$k" is
> matched to a variable in my layout assembly script to go from gschem to pcb.
>
> Also, I can't find any mention in the pcb documentation telling $ is a
> forbidden character. It looks like a regexp is used somewhere and the
> string used ti build that regexp is not well escaped.

More likely the issue is with lowercase suffixes. PCB has historically
ignored any trailing lowercase characters in a refdes, so where you have
J$k-1, it sees "J$-1"

I'm not sure whether $ is a legal / sensible character to use though, as
it is almost certainly special to M4, which the package names get passed
through by gsch2pcb.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,