Re: gEDA-user: gEDA from all sources

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 19:54 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 17:36 +0200, Bernd Jendrissek wrote:
> > On Jan 15, 2008 5:21 PM, Ian Chapman <ichapman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > This is getting to be a real adventure.  Good thing I am enjoying it
> > > all.
> >
> > I'm glad - mere mortals don't like fighting the universe one bit!
> Lots of practice
> >
> > > gcc -Wall -g -O2   -o gnetlist  i_vars.o g_netlist.o g_rc.o g_register.o
> > > globals.o gnetlist.o parsecmd.o s_cpinlist.o s_net.o s_netlist.o
> > > s_netattrib.o s_traverse.o s_rename.o s_hierarchy.o s_misc.o vams_misc.o
> > > -L/usr/local/lib -lgeda -lguile -lguile-ltdl -lcrypt -lgdk-x11-2.0
> >     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > After the "make install" bails out like this, try running "sudo
> > ldconfig" before repeating the "make install" step.  It might be just
> > a symbolic link that's missing.
> sudo make install  ;same thing.  Looking in detail I see
>
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/stanley82/Source_gEDA/Extracted/geda-gnetlist-1.2.1/src'
> gcc -Wall -g -O2   -o gnetlist  i_vars.o g_netlist.o g_rc.o g_register.o
> globals.o gnetlist.o parsecmd.o s_cpinlist.o s_net.o s_netlist.o
> s_netattrib.o s_traverse.o s_rename.o s_hierarchy.o s_misc.o vams_misc.o
>
>  -L/usr/local/lib -lgeda -lguile -lguile-ltdl -lcrypt -lgdk-x11-2.0
>                   /****** none of this stuff is in usr/local/lib wonder
> what the -L means?  ****/

-L specifies a search path for libraries.. something is telling it to
look there..

/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/libgeda.pc would be my guess..

I'm tired unfortunately.. work is keeping me up late, so if my reply
doesn't make much sense, or asks questions I've already asked.. sorry!

If you're building 1.2.1 or 1.3.1 from sources, the first thing you need
to do is build and install libgeda (from those sources).

If you want to install it in /usr/local, then ./configure, make, sudo
make install from within the libgeda directly should install libgeda in
the right place.

It should _then_ be possible to build the other tools. I'd start with
geda-symbols, gschem, and go on from there. If you can successfully load
gschem from the command line at this point.

The advantage of /usr/local as an install location is that it is system
wide, and doesn't require funky paths to be setup to make the tools
work. The disadvantage (as you have seen), is that anything there will
get found in preference to the distro-installed version in /usr, and if
it is broken somehow, it stops the distro version working.

>  -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lfontconfig -lXext -lXrender
> -lXinerama -lXi -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXcomposite -lXdamage -lpango-1.0
> -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lX11 -lXfixes
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgeda

I guess you may have removed it from /usr/local/lib/ when you were
cleaning up from the previous install? Try building and installing
libgeda again, then have another crack at gschem, right from
the ./configure stage.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton