Re: gEDA-user: gEDA installation

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 08:39 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:
> For bash:
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/gEDA/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> export PATH=/usr/local/gEDA/bin:${PATH}
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/gEDA/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>
> 	I have to do something with the above?  Do I just past it into the
> command line one at a time and bash remembers forever or do I need to
> put it in a start up rc file somewhere?

The various paths to the /usr/local/ prefix will already be on your
system paths, so there is no need to use these lines with a /usr/local
install.

If (for example) you were installing in your home directory, you would
use similar lines to point at the installed gEDA and libraries though.

You need to have them run every time you start your shell (which isn't
necessarily bash on Gutsy, but "probably" is..), I put mine in my
~/.bashrc, towards the bottom:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/lib:/home/pcjc2/geda/lib/gnucap:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/bin:$PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Unfortunately, menu launchers and file-associations in 1.3.1, allowing
you to just click on a file and have it open gschem will not work with
this install path. They will only work installing from .deb packages
which go into /usr/, or if building from source and installing
to /usr/local/

When Hamish packages up 1.3.1 for experimental testing of the icons,
menus etc.. I'll see if I can rebuild the packages on Gutsy if you'd
like to test those.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton