gEDA-user: [pcb] conservative hand solder design rules?

Hi,
   When I do boards for myself, I usually make through-hole pads pretty
small.  After all, if the board already has 0603 parts on it, a
through-hole pad close to minimum isn't a big deal.

   But I am working on a couple of designs that will be kitted up for a
more general audience -- if you assume the average hobbyist is going to
be doing the soldering, what size pads seem reasonable?

-dave