Re: gEDA-user: Spice netlister

On Monday 21 January 2008, a r wrote:
> Good place for gEDA to start spreading in this industry is to
> concentrate on design entry tools (schematics editor,
> netlisters), logic simulators and data viewers (simulation
> results etc). This is because these tools are relatively
> simple, non-critical, easy to adopt

It looks like that is what we have, for that reason.  Also, they
make nice student projects.

A contrary point  ..  we need the advanced projects to appeal to
advanced developers.  The experts don't want to go back to
doing maintenance on the programs of the past, even their own.
They don't want to join a project they think is being led by
someone who knows less than they do.

But keep in mind another mission, and measure of success ...
How much of a design can you do with a totally free system?

This can change the priority of some ..  For example "data
viewers" ..  are useful only if you have data to view.  The
most important data viewers are to view the data from other
free tools, that depend only on other free tools.

Likewise with "netlisters".  The most important netlisters are
the ones for free tools, especially "ours", which should be
100% supported.

It is most important to support "our" tools.  Then next, "other
free" tools.  The way I differentiate "our" tools from "other
free" tools is that it goes both ways.  By "our" tools, I mean
the key developers are here, and they participate in gEDA, and
we all work together to make them work as a system.  By "other
free" tools, I mean those that could be here but are not, and
that supporting it would be a one-way street because they don't
participate in gEDA.  Notice I said "key developers".  There
are lots of cases where there is overlap in the user
communities, but not the developers.

A very important need here is for the "glue" support to be
developed as features are being developed, so it is ready when
the features are ready.  As an example, "spectre"
and "verilog-AMS" have not been important because they have not
been used by other free tools, only commercial ones.  Both of
these have become a priority because gnucap can use them.  We
have a situation now where our netlisters do not fully support
our own tools.