Re: gEDA-user: Spice netlister

On Jan 21, 2008, at 11:59 AM, a r wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2008 6:02 PM, John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Layout Versus Schematic checker.  EDA jargon.  Chip design jargon.
>>> Our jargon.
>>>

>> The people I work with call it "postlayout verification", and the
>> schematic isn't directly involved: we do it at the netlist level. I
>> don't see how you'd do it at the schematic level: the extracted
>> netlists from the layout correspond to schematics that are humanly
>> incomprehensible! But again, I am very far from the VLSI
>> "mainstream".
>
> That's a bit off-topic but it's better if I explain this topic a bit.

Understanding what other people's flows are like is important for the
future evolution of gEDA. Do not assume that everybody's flows are
like your own.

> LVS is a method of comparing layout vs. schematics. It starts with two
> netlists - one obtained from schematics (usually a spice-like .cdl
> format, verilog gate-level netlists for logic), the other extracted
> from layout (without parasitics).

OK, the layout contractor may be doing that, but with distance,
language barrier and the fact that I deal with them indirectly
through Osaka U., I have little insight into their internal flow.
What they get from me is PDF schematics and other documentation along
with stripped-down SPICE netlists (just the circuits, no models or
simulation commands). That seems to suit them, and gEDA is a very
effective tool for generating this.

> In fact, you can compare netlists
> obtained from two schematics (sometimes it's called SVS) or two layout
> (this is rarely used - layouts are usually compared geometrically).
> It's basically a tool, which says that the layout you have drawn is
> same as schematics you have started from (in terms of primitive
> devices used and their interconnections).

It seems like netlists, not schematics, are the basis here. I don't
see why that is at all a problem for gEDA as currently structured.
Either a separate tool or a gnetlist back end could do this. I don't
see why you think a spice-subcircuit-LL component could get in the
way here.

> LVS is one of _layout_ verification methods. Others are DRC (often
> separated into several checks: antenna, density etc), ERC, LVL (GDS
> compare).

I don't know what open source tools exist here. It would be
interesting to investigate incorporating them into a gEDA flow.

> Post-layout verification refers usually to the extracted circuit
> simulations.

Yes. And to me that's the most important: will the cells *behave* as
expected? Will the chip work? gEDA's not bad here: just substitute
the extracted netlists for the schematic derived ones and simulate
until the submission deadline forces you to declare the job done ;-)

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx