Re: gEDA-user: OT: Recommendations for laptop?

On Jan 2, 2009, at 9:02 PM, der Mouse wrote:

>>> I just can't say enough good things about my Mackbook Pro.  [...]
>> I've been happy with Apple laptops for a few years now.  [...]
>
> To offer a slight counterweight to the Apple gushiness...I wouldn't.

Despite being one of the earlier 'gushy' folks, I'll grant you've got
some valid criticisms:
  - their dialect of *NIX is different. I liked your comparison to AIX
- I remember that!
  - Closed source OS rubs some folks the wrong way - even when they
provide free development tools & documentation for coding on top of
the OS, not having access to the guts is annoying.
  - Hardware is more expensive than commodity PCs.
  - Apple's sales & support has a certain attitude that can be grating.

So given you don't like Apple, what do you recommend for a good
laptop? I've been glancing over some of the inexpensive Linux-based
netbooks lately - a tad underpowered, but potentially useful and cheap
enough to take a flyer on. I'm curious how useful a 1024x800 screen
would be for gEDA/PCB.

Eric