Re: gEDA-user: one fix for building under Solaris

On Jan 4, 2009, at 10:29 PM, der Mouse wrote:
>>    (! test -z "$LIBTOOLIZE") || {
>>
>>    ...requires Bash, and blows up when run by the Bourne shell.
>
> It does not require bash.  NetBSD's stock sh, for example, which is
> definitely not bash - it appears to be based on ash - accepts it just
> fine.  (This is as of both NetBSD 1.4T and 4.0, probably meaning
> everything in between too.)

   Ahh, I stand corrected, it does not require Bash.  However, it's
still not a Bourne shell script, if it contains stuff that the Bourne
shell does not recognize.

> This is not to say that it's not better to avoid it, especially
> given a
> relatively common Unix variant (Solaris) that breaks on it.

   Yes.

> Perhaps
>
> test -z "$LIBTOOLIZE" && {
>
> works better?  I can't see any reason it would be semantically
> different, unless there is further control structure following the
> closing }.  (I can't easily test it myself, as I have no machines
> running Solaris.)

   I may have an opportunity to try it, if I can ever get myself dug
out of Linux dependency hell.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire