Re: gEDA-user: one fix for building under Solaris

>> It does not require bash.  NetBSD's stock sh, for example, which is
>> definitely not bash - it appears to be based on ash - accepts it
>> just fine.
> [I]t's still not a Bourne shell script, if it contains stuff that the
> Bourne shell does not recognize.

Well, yes; that's almost a tautology.  But what is a "Bourne shell"
these days?  If you mean just the shell written by S. R. Bourne, then
yes, it's not a Bourne shell script, but that's pretty much irrelevant,
because I doubt there's anyone still using the real Bourne code.
(Well, anyone who cares about gEDA; there are probably a few people
running V9 on real PDP-11s and the like.)  Also, the real Bourne code
lacks a lot of things that "everyone" supports these days - I think a
more useful working definition is "stock /bin/sh", which is a different
thing for each target environment and is more a matter for deciding
what platforms to care about and what ones not and experimenting.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx