Re: gEDA-user: Wish list, sort of

On Jan 6, 2009, at 9:35 AM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>>> There was talk a while ago about integrating gschem with a database.
>>> Any status change on that?  Any way I can help implement/test with
>>> mysql?
>>
>> libgeda (gschem) has an interface where you can connect a database.
>
> eagle and protel both keep their libraries in databases. Both are a
> pain
> to use. Seems to me, the effort to maintain connection to the
> proper data
> base outweighs the potential benefits. Cadsoft flunked it big time
> with
> eagle. They use literally hundreds of databases. Each with different
> levels of internal hierarchy. You just never know where to look for a
> specific symbol. Common third party tools like grep or locate are
> no use
> in such an environment. With protelSE we had several instances of data
> base corruption in my former day job. This can hit you very hard.

   Hmm, sounds like incompetent developers to me.  I use databases to
back-end large software all the time...no problems here.  (granted
not EDA software, but at that level, there's no difference)

   If correctly implemented, it should be trouble-free.  (famous last
words!)

> I like to see the unix file system as a very robust, very transparent
> data base.

   Same here.  But not very flexible.

           -Dave

--