gEDA-user: Dumb PCB question - smd parts on back of 2-sided board

It's been about 6 months since I did a 2-sided board with smd parts on
the back side and I seem to have forgotten the magic incantations.

Stuff I know:

* 'shift-B' flips an element to the opposite side from which it is
currently on.

* 'B' seems to toggle the back side silk to visible on the previous
board I did. Oddly, the front-side silk is also still visible.

What I tried:

I flipped a few caps from the component to the solder side. This seems
to change their position too, and their refdes becomes faint. 'B'
doesn't seem to have any effect on this board though.

I moved them to the location where I want them, opposite a large LQFP.
Now when I try to rotate them the LQFP on the other side rotates instead.

My questions:

* Why doesn't the 'B' work on my new project?
* How to prevent edits to elements on the solder side of the board from
operating on component-side elements?

Thanks,

Eric