Re: gEDA-user: geda-user Digest, Vol 32, Issue 27

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 04:02 +0300, eas lab wrote:
> web-based applications are crap !
> I can't edit the 'Subject:' field.
>
> I'm nor committed to any particular linux.
> All GNU/linux should work.

They all do, and BSD, Mac, Solaris, Windows...
(gEDA runs on all of those - not all from the binary installer though!)

The specific request to know what distro you were on was that we'd then
be in a better position to determine whether there is an easier way for
you to proceed in getting working, integrated tools on your system.

On some, is is as simple as "apt-get isntall geda"
"yum install geda" (Some RPM based systems)
"yast --??? geda"

I'm not sure what package manger or package Mandrake uses, nor whether
the gEDA packages are up to date on it.

The binary suite was primarily designed for people running on older OS,
such as the enterprise distros. It is still really a beta, and hasn't
received as much testing as other ways of installing the suite.

If it isn't working, you'd probably be better off fetching the latest
released source tarballs (or checking out from git) and building from
source.

> Please someone tell me how 'dbus-launch' fits into geda?

xgsch2pcb and pcb  use D-Bus for IPC. dbus-launch is responsible for
ensuring that a D-Bus session daemon is up and running for gEDA to work
with.

man dbus-launch
NAME
       dbus-launch - Utility to start a message bus from a shell script

Since mandrake probably _has_ a D-Bus session bus running, you might run
into trouble. Ideally you'd compile from source, or install the distro's
packages.

In case you didn't find it yet:

http://geda.seul.org/download.html

Best wishes,