Re: gEDA-user: geda-user Digest, Vol 32, Issue 28

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 13:31 +0300, eas lab wrote:
> Peter Clifton wrote:
> >Is there any particular reason you're using the gEDA binary suite,
> >rather than fetching gEDA from your distro's package system?
>
> I don't think ito 'your distro, your psychologist, your travel agent'.
> When I move to another distro, I expect to be able to just continue.
> I shouldn't need a special car-make to reach the street-building ?
> I started with gedasuite-linux-x86-0.0.2.tar.bz2 = 19698K, which
> cost me 100 minutes of expensive d/l time.

I don't think I can help you any more in that case. I didn't write the
binary installer, and don't know how to make it work on your system. I
have a few comments below though.

> ------ snip ---------
> > I'm nor committed to any particular linux.
> > All GNU/linux should work.
> They all do, and BSD, Mac, Solaris, Windows...
> (gEDA runs on all of those - not all from the binary installer
> though!)
> So, altho' it's called install.sh, it might not succeed in systems
> which claim the provide 'sh' ?!

It is an x86 Linux binary release. Unfortunately the release notes don't
appear to be with it on the sourceforge site.

Its main home is linked from http://geda.seul.org/download.html (the
link I send you), and there is a README.

*Ales, can that go on the sourceforge site?

http://geda.seul.org/dist/suite/v0.0.2/README

[snip]

> try run: bin/.binaries/geda-pcb.x ->   pcb.x -> pcb-gtk.x
> == shared-lib error
> & same error for pcb-lesstif.x
> & different lib-error for gschem.x
> But the error-libs ARE in /mnt/mul/....lib/...
> ldd ./gnetlist.x == show list of libs in "/lib & /usr/lib"
> ? It seems that the/mnt/mul/.... lib-dir is Not in the environment.
> ...install.sh says 'NOT to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to <geda>'
> but can set PATH to $installdir/bin

_If_ I remember correctly, the binary suite relies on shell-script
wrappers created around the programs to set the required LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and PATH.

> ?!?! since the 'installat	ion is NOT so big, try to install at default location:-
> run: /mnt/mul/gedasuite-linux-x86-0.0.2/install.sh
> == install to /usr/local/geda-0.0.2 == creates dir & verifying files...
> == cannot create dir /usr/local/geda-0.0.2 Permission denied
> Try create /usr/local/geda-0.0.2 under root & change owner to eas &
> install as eas
> == error:  <dir> already exists, please remove and rerun the script
> !! what a canOworms ??

I think this reflects that you're using it in a way it really wasn't
designed for. It was designed to be installed by a local non-privileged
user, in a non-privileged location - such as their home directory.

As a nasty workaround, you could temporarily give your user account
write-permissions to wherever you want it installed, but I don't think
changing your install location will fix the problem with dbus-launch.

The dbus-launch issues is probably just a bug in the binary suite. (It
is only version 0.0.2).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,