Re: gEDA-user: geda-user Digest, Vol 32, Issue 28

Peter Clifton wrote:
>Is there any particular reason you're using the gEDA binary suite,
>rather than fetching gEDA from your distro's package system?

I don't think ito 'your distro, your psychologist, your travel agent'.
When I move to another distro, I expect to be able to just continue.
I shouldn't need a special car-make to reach the street-building ?
I started with gedasuite-linux-x86-0.0.2.tar.bz2 = 19698K, which
cost me 100 minutes of expensive d/l time.
------ snip ---------
> I'm nor committed to any particular linux.
> All GNU/linux should work.
They all do, and BSD, Mac, Solaris, Windows...
(gEDA runs on all of those - not all from the binary installer
though!)
So, altho' it's called install.sh, it might not succeed in systems
which claim the provide 'sh' ?!
----- snip ------------
>>Please someone tell me how 'dbus-launch' fits into geda?
>xgsch2pcb and pcb  use D-Bus for IPC. dbus-launch is responsible for
>ensuring that a D-Bus session daemon is up and running for gEDA to work with.
------
ok, thanks.
---- snip -------
>Since mandrake probably _has_ a D-Bus session bus running, you
>might run into trouble.
`pgrep us' == only shows the bdflush proccess
Nor does man, whereis, locate show any "dbus".
But the geda package has dbus* executables.

>Ideally you'd compile from source, or install the distro's packages.
>In case you didn't find it yet:
http://geda.seul.org/download.html
=========
I've had enough punishment for a while thanks.

goog tells: D-bus is an inter-process communication mechanism.
 ? so try to run individual proccesses.
 Trace 'execution route' from geda-0.0.2/bin/geda ->  ./pythonwrapper
-> geda-0.0.2/bin/.scripts/

.../geda-0.0.2/bin/gschemdoc  -m
== found /usr/bin/mozilla & Using browser & file ..gedadocs.html
 & shows wiki 1.4.0 in browser.
.../geda-0.0.2/bin/gschemdoc  -w
== shows the same.

.../geda-0.0.2/bin/* has 8 executables & many links

try run: bin/.binaries/geda-pcb.x ->   pcb.x -> pcb-gtk.x
== shared-lib error
& same error for pcb-lesstif.x
& different lib-error for gschem.x
But the error-libs ARE in /mnt/mul/....lib/...
ldd ./gnetlist.x == show list of libs in "/lib & /usr/lib"
? It seems that the/mnt/mul/.... lib-dir is Not in the environment.
...install.sh says 'NOT to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to <geda>'
but can set PATH to $installdir/bin

?!?! since the 'installation is NOT so big, try to install at default location:-
run: /mnt/mul/gedasuite-linux-x86-0.0.2/install.sh
== install to /usr/local/geda-0.0.2 == creates dir & verifying files...
== cannot create dir /usr/local/geda-0.0.2 Permission denied
Try create /usr/local/geda-0.0.2 under root & change owner to eas &
install as eas
== error:  <dir> already exists, please remove and rerun the script
!! what a canOworms ??

== Chris Glur.