Re: gEDA-user: Slot naming improvement methods.

On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
> Steven Michalske wrote:
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> This is a proposal that seems to have gotten lost in a debate if gEDA
>> is the right toolkit for someone.
>>
>> So here is a technical discussion on how we could IMPROVE gEDA.
>>
>> The proposal, please comment on lapses of functionality, and one
>> sidedness as I use gEDA in  PCB and spice 'n friends workflows
>>

>> When adding a slotted or multi part component it should have an
>> attribute of an unique instantiation ID (UIID) that gets matched With
>> the other symbols of that device instance.
>> 	- have a ui pop up with this is a slotted/multi part device,
>> 		- have options to add to existing instance, add new, or save for
>> hierarchy compilation
>> 		- have options for specific slot, next, undecided, or best slot
>>
>> This works into deeper capabilities,  assisted slotting and multi
>> symbol verification.
>>
>> To make slotting more robust to errors like U1a and U1b both having
>> slot 1,
>> To make sure that multi symbol parts have all their symbols, such
>> as a
>> microcontroller missing one of it's three sub symbols, it would warn
>> the designer
>>
>> it should match each slotted device with it's UIID
>> it should verify that each UIID is complete to it's devices rules.
>> 	- i.e.  	a device of type X has the symbols of: one power symbol,
>> one
>> foo symbol, and one foo+power symbol.
>> 		- There can only be upto 4 foo slots
>

> Not sure what foo means in this context but anyhow, the max number of
> slots for a library part should be kept high. Bus drivers, HV drivers
> and such can have dozens.

this was meant as a specific example,  not a defined max in the
implementation.

>> 		- there can be only one of the 4 foo slots with power.
>

> Sometimes there can be parts where supplies are split between two or
> more dies inside a package (multi-chip like). But this is very rare.

interesting point...., a non rare case would be bank powers on an FPGA

>> 		- There must be one power connection
>

> Some parts do not have a power connection at all. For example resistor
> arrays or diode arrays.

this is an example of a specific device X that has 4 slots of foo with
one power connection method.  those examples would not have a power
sub symbol.

>> 		- Spare slots should have a default connection scheme.
>> 			slot pin 1,2,3 should be tied to GND of the power for this UIID,
>> pin 4 to VCC, pin 5 is NoConnect
>> 		- etc...
>> 	- Hate to say it, but sounds like a data base :-P
>> 		- ok an additional file type,  *.msym  for meta symbol.
>>
>> it should renumber a UIID to the same refdes.
>> it should verify that a UIID is not over spent ( i.e. 5 slots on a 4
>> slot part )
>>
>> it should list an under spent UIID
>> 	- This would allow for post netlisting combinations.  example in a
>> design you have 16  sub modules that use 2 of 4 slots in a part,
>> half
>> of each share the same power nets,  we should assist the collecting
>> of
>> the parts with the same power ground nets.
>> 	- e.g. printout, or pop up a slot editor. with the following info.
>> refdes U1, U2, U3, and U4  have spare slots and share the same power
>> and ground
>>
>> This would require the schematic to physical stage to have a slotting
>> tool that understood this.
>> 	- this stage could output a slotting information report that PCB or
>> other layout tools (humans) could read.
>> 		- PCB could then allow for back annotating slot changes with the
>> help of the report
>>
>> we should drop the refdes+letter notation going forward.
>> 	- The suffix should be generated not defined as part of the refdef
>> 	- I don't want U1a to point to the first slot   then in U2a points
>> slot 3,  unless you tie them together  two locations can conflict/
>> confuse. e.g. a technician is debugging a part,  they have worked on
>> three stages, but each part calls it stage?/U1A well unfortunately
>> each section being differently laid out had U1A being different
>> slots.  making shortcuts that are often taken they measured the wrong
>> pins, because a b and c were pins 1 2 and 3 on U1  but 3 2 and 1 on
>> U2.
>>

> Just my 2 cents, but this should be defined in the library. For
> example,
> pins 1,2,3 of a particular opamp is always U?A, pins 5,6,7 is U?B
> and so on.

In my imagination, the a b c would have been defined in the meta
symbol,  connecting them to the same pins would be good for locking
them down.