Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 1/6] Non-Turing-complete configuration files.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:44:54PM +0000, Peter TB Brett wrote:

My proposal is to use a Scheme-like syntax for the configuration files,
but to parse rather than execute them.
Personally, I really like the ability of gaf to use arbitrary scripts for configuration. While I don't use it in gaf yet, I do miss it in many other programs. Take mutt for instance: While its configuration is the most flexible I've seen in any MUA yet, I've already reached the limits years ago.

I do understand your points, though. I can think of two alternatives to completely removing the ability to use arbitrary scripts:

1. Still use Scheme (or any other language that's flexible enough), but by default restrict the actions they can take. This way they would be safe to copy from the internet, but an advanced user can deactivate the safeguard and use the full power of a regular programming language. 2. Use a second parser for config files and add a config parameter to run an arbitrary script for configuration (after the reduced-format config has been completely parsed).

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/