Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 5/6] Use of X server clipboard

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:54:17 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:

>> Transfer of selection between schematics and layout seems an easier
>> task and would be very helpful. I used this a lot with protel95.

> Did you mean cross-probing by "transfer of selection"?

Yes, cross-probing of whole groups of symbols.

> That is possible too, but still requires a project level overview of how
> the netlister will transform refdes and netnames etc..

Sure. This means, the netlister has to be involved in the action.

> Perhaps you could elaborate what Protel95 allows you to transfer.

You select some symbols in the schematic and press a magic button. In the
layout tool all the footprints that correspond to selected symbols will
be selected. This is very useful during placement of analog circuits.
Select a functional block in the schematics and the magic button allows
to pick the corresponding components from the pile.
With a layout that contains 500+ parts every means to divide and conquer
the initial pile is welcome.

Currently, I do this manually --- Look at the schematic, compile a list
of refdeses, munge them in my head and write the list into the select-by-
name dialog of pcb.

> Please
> bear in mind that until a lot of other work is done in gEDA, transfer
> between apps which needs to know your workflow is not going to happen!

The workflow of cross-probing might be implemented similar to the way
parts are placed in the layout in the first place:

1) gschem collects the refdeses of a selection and writes them to an
intermediate file.

2) gnetlist reads the file and appends/munges/converts them according
like it is configured to to. The result is written to a second
intermediate file.

3) pcb reads the list of munged refdeses and adds the corresponding
components to the selection.

A project manager GUI might reduce the hassle to the desired one-click-
operation. This is very similar to an update of the layout after a change
in schematic. None of the tools needs to know more about the actual
workflow than it has to know now.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak