Re: gEDA-user: Light? Heavy? Reuse...

On Jan 17, 2009, at 6:04 AM, Bob Paddock wrote:

>> We need a way to import symbols from the library to the *project*,
>> not just to the schematic. The schematic may ultimately be shared by
>> many projects, with different parts requirements.
>>
>> 2. Institutions often have preferred parts lists, stockrooms, etc. It
>> makes perfect sense for an institution to make a heavy symbol library
>> representing its preferred parts.
>
> Everyplace that I've been institutionalized *always* put this
> information
> in the Bill Of Material.

Yes. But let's distinguish between the design data (the "source
files" for the design) and the BOM, which is a report generated from
these files.

>   The schematic proper is looked at by the designer,
> maybe the person doing PCB layout if not the designer,
> a few people in the design review phase, and the technical that has
> to repair
> the broken boards.  Three to five people at most, and not very often.

Yes. That's the real world I know. The designer is schematic-centric,
but nobody else is.

> Also in a project where there is government approvals involved you
> want
> as little detail as possible in the schematic, be generic (MSHA does
> not even want to see
> values on the schematic.  Need a way to turn that 'layer' of
> information
> off when making one for them).

Never heard of that one, but...

It's a one-liner in AWK to hide all value= attributes. So if that was
an issue, I'd just make copies of the source schematics with the
values hidden, make graphics from those, and present those to the
reviewers. A trivial automation problem in the gEDA architecture.
Radical flexibility.

>   Also you want absolutely nothing in
> your documentation flow, say a part going obsolete where you must
> change
> the BOM, is going to flow back up the process to force a change in the
> schematic.

Indeed.

> The fewer documents that change, the less problems you have with
> updating
> your project with "Them", and less expense.  Change *anything* in
> submitted
> documents with MSHA and your looking at least $1000 bucks.

That's another reason why, in the gEDA architecture, it makes great
sense to maintain the information that will generate the BOM in
project-specific "heavy" symbols.

> The BOM is going to be looked at by maybe the above people, plus
> purchasing, warehouse, sales to estimate delivery dates, production
> (board stuffing), QC for testing boards (they only look at the
> schematics
> if something fails, and that had better be rare in your process).
> BOM is going to be looked at *every time* there is an new order
> for this widget by some part of the institution, even if is only an
> automated step, with a cursory human glance.

Yep.

>> The schematic may ultimately be shared by
>> many projects, with different parts requirements.
>
> The BOM by definition has to contain the correct parts for the
> variation
> of the schematic that you are building, or it is useless.  BOM will
> always have the fully
> specified part number, or you can't order the parts..  In our work
> flows it always contains at least
> a generic footprint reference like "0603" plus a reference to a
> fully specified
> footprint document.  Not all "0603" are the same footprint,
> unfortunately,
> but the generic reference at least gives you some concept of size.

One customer of mine wants the BOM bound together with a copy of the
manufacturer's datasheet for every part.

> In the past databases have come up as a solution to 'heavy', and that
> makes sense
> from the technical aspects, but it can't be something like a MySQL
> server.  The
> inmates that are running IT in these institutions balk at installing
> anything with the
> word "server" in the name (I was told I was competing with them
> when I did it,
> my system was fast and easy to use and theirs was not),
> and they sure are not going to let you contaminate "their" database
> system with footprint data
> or its ilk.  Usually the version control system is pressed into
> service because IT almost grasps why it is needed.

Just about every project I do has a software component, too. Given
that the gEDA formats work well with common version control systems,
it makes sense to go that route for both hardware design and software.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx