Re: gEDA-user: Light? Heavy? Reuse...

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 5:11 PM, John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2009, at 6:04 AM, Bob Paddock wrote:
>>
>>> The schematic may ultimately be shared by
>>> many projects, with different parts requirements.
>>
>> The BOM by definition has to contain the correct parts for the
>> variation
>> of the schematic that you are building, or it is useless.  BOM will
>> always have the fully
>> specified part number, or you can't order the parts..  In our work
>> flows it always contains at least
>> a generic footprint reference like "0603" plus a reference to a
>> fully specified
>> footprint document.  Not all "0603" are the same footprint,
>> unfortunately,
>> but the generic reference at least gives you some concept of size.
>
> One customer of mine wants the BOM bound together with a copy of the
> manufacturer's datasheet for every part.

This is fairly common in most of the work I have done.

When I had to send my schematic to a layout group I created a script
that made a single pdf file containing the schematics, a bom and
embedded pdf datasheets for each part. Each bom line item was
a hyperlink to the embedded datasheet. When the layout guy wanted
information on the component he clicked the link.

(* jcl *)

--

You can't create open hardware with closed EDA tools.

http://www.luciani.org