Re: gEDA-user: Light? Heavy? Reuse...

On Jan 17, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Bob Paddock wrote:

>> You don't need to change the schematic. One way to do this is to keep
>> a directory of second source symbols.
>
> That presupposes that you know the second source when you are working
> on the project.  Part might be obsoleted years from now.
> New second source symbol would have to be created when
> a part is obsoleted, this seems unnecessary to me, as this still
> involves the engineering staff for what might be a simple clerical
> function.

In the commercial environment I work at, we use an internal part number.

That part number contains all acceptable sources.
The parts folks populate all of the extra sources, when there are

This is also helpful in dealing with HF and RHOS stuff, because you
flag parts based on this when any automated steps happen.

a great example are 5% resistors 0603.
i know that for these parts i have at least 5 approved vendors, and i
don't care if the parts engineers add 15 more.  but I am not going to
replace my symbols to allow them to....  thats why and 0603, 5%, .....
resistor is internal part number X

So a clerk (procurement) can find the cheapest supplier and provide
the quantities we need of that part.

To keep clerks from changing parts that need my (engineer) attention,
we have an attribute that tells them that engineering approval is
required for changes.

Hardkrash