Re: gEDA-user: Light? Heavy? Reuse...

On Jan 17, 2009, at 7:38 PM, Bob Paddock wrote:

>> You don't need to change the schematic. One way to do this is to keep
>> a directory of second source symbols.
>
> That presupposes that you know the second source when you are working
> on the project.  Part might be obsoleted years from now.
> New second source symbol would have to be created when
> a part is obsoleted, this seems unnecessary to me, as this still
> involves the engineering staff for what might be a simple clerical
> function.

Generally, an engineer is going to have to be involved in the
selection anyway, I think.

>> These have the same names as
>> the primary symbols, so swap them into the project symbol directory
>> as needed.
>
> There very well could be more than only two alternatives as well.

Sure. Still not difficult.

> Have files with the same name, but different content, is a bad idea.

Huh? Do that *all* the time. Makefile, gafrc, CVS, ...

> IT: Disk drive is getting full, lets delete all duplicate files based
> on name and
> identical file size...  I've seen things like that really happen.
> Dilbert is not
> a cartoon, it is a documentary.

Well, if that's a problem (never seen that in 40 years using
computers), do it some other way. Name the files slowopamp-
primary.sym, slowopamp-alt1.sym, etc. Link slowopamp.sym to the one
you're using.

Or another way I've done it is just to have an alternate source
document, supplementary to the BOM. Then, the BOM document never
changes. Some organizations like to use internal part numbers, but
I've just used the primary part number as key.

There are lots of simple ways to do this when you use factored,
flexible toolkits. Choose one that works for you.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx