Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 3/6] Embedding system revamp

On Jan 17, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:56:03 -0500, Ales Hvezda wrote:
>
>> Also, keep
>> in mind that the default of gschem is not to embed symbols/
>> pictures, so
>> how many users will really take advantage of this?
>
> Currently, embedded symbols are the only reliable way to share a self
> contained schematic. Final versions in the archive of projects
> should be
> embedded for related reasons. IMHO, these are pretty common scenarios.

Well, you can do *your* projects that way, but that makes reuse by a
project with different parts selection criteria difficult and
tedious. Remember that the new project may be a derivative of the
old, but with new components. Right now, I'm putting together a new
rev of an old project. The biggest change is 0603->0402 when
possible, so we can make it smaller. That's a lot more tedious with
embedded components, but with project symbols I only have to worry
about the handful of exceptional components that can't shrink.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx