Re: gEDA-user: Slotting

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 17:11 -0500, John Doty wrote:

> The old mechanism could be left in place. Many, including me, would
> scream if it changed. If the slot is defined by slotdef=, it's old
> style, by slotfile=, it's new style.

I'd quite like to see the current slot handling C code ripped out, and
replaced with a (default enabled) scheme plugin. I'd planned to do this
as part of the netlisting changes planned for the 1.8 series.

The idea would be that alternative implementations could be provided to
special-case the behaviours people are interested in having. I don't
like the fact that libgeda's core code "understands" the slot= attribute
in so many places (and does lots of kludgy in-schematic manipulation of
pinnumbers).

There are lots of details to flesh out, but I've been mulling over ideas
for how pin attribute details can be back-annotated into a schematic, so
this fits well there.

> I think this is a minimally invasive change that will make the slot
> mechanism more flexible and easier to understand.

I'm going to make my position known on this point.. I oppose any
additional hard-coding of special cased behaviours until we've got a
plugin mechanism to separate them away from the core code.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,