Re: gEDA-user: Slotting

The idea I had a while back was to use symbolic pin names in the
symbols, and map symbolic pin names to physical pin numbers as part of
the "heavyification" of the symbol.  The physical pin numbers are
added to the symbol at that point.  The syntax for slots would be
expanded, to allow for multiple levels of grouping (like, all nand
gates, then all inputs for each nand gate) - slots vs pin groups, for
example.

I really don't think adding a new *file* for each symbol makes sense.
I do agree it should be stored external to the symbols though.  I had
suggested some form of database (csv, sql, whatever) that maps light
symbols (with symbolic pin names) to heavy symbols (with physical pin
numbers).  The "inferred" attributes can be stored in the symbol in
the design, with a flag that says "not directly user specified".