Re: gEDA-user: Slotting

On Jan 17, 2009, at 6:16 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> The idea I had a while back was to use symbolic pin names in the
> symbols, and map symbolic pin names to physical pin numbers as part of
> the "heavyification" of the symbol.  The physical pin numbers are
> added to the symbol at that point.  The syntax for slots would be
> expanded, to allow for multiple levels of grouping (like, all nand
> gates, then all inputs for each nand gate) - slots vs pin groups, for
> example.

It only works for homogeneous devices. But many slotted devices are
heterogeneous. Most are, if you want nonredundant explicit power pins.

> I really don't think adding a new *file* for each symbol makes sense.

In many cases symbols could share files. The slot files would contain
only graphics and pins, and pinouts are often common among many
similar devices.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx