Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 1/6] Non-Turing-complete configuration files.

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 14:18 +0100, Árpád Magosányi wrote:
> 2009/1/17 Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx>:

> And you will have to reinvent the wheel for each primitives you want to provide.
> While the config is small, then the whole thing does not worth the
> effort of changing configuration architecture. When it becomes
> complicated, every new primitive will be another effort spent on an
> unimportant thing instead of real enhancement of the software itself.

I think you're wrong here, since for every thing which is configurable..
there is already custom code. It makes absolutely no difference if I
parse a name = value, or execute a method, "name (value)" which is how
gschem's configs currently work.

Lets agree to disagree on this one. If you like, you can come back and
say "I told you so" in the unlikely case there is a problem with
implementing this.

Since you (nor anyone else) has come up with any use-case or reason as
to why you want / need executable configs (as a user), I think you
should leave the implementation details up to those who would be doing
it. I really believe this is easier to implement than you're making out.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,