Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 6/6] Generation of log files

On Monday 19 January 2009 18:56:08 Steven Michalske wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> >> Currently, running any gEDA suite program leaves behind a log file in
> >> the current working directory. I would like to change the default
> >> to not
> >> generating log files, so that I (and other users who use the default
> >> configuration) don't end up with gschem.log and gnetlist.log files
> >> scattered over their entire filesystem. Any objections?
> >
> > 	No objections, but the first user who posts a mysterious error
> > report with no information (where the clarifying info would be in the
> > disabled log file), you get the honor of playing 20 questions and
> > telling
> > them how to enable the log file and dealing with all the whining which
> > will result.
>
> how about an option that turns them off?
>
> but default them to on, so that a an experienced geda user can turn
> them off but the new users have the clutter/tmp dir.

There already is such an option. However, because I like to eat my own
dogfood, I almost use gEDA with the default settings. If the default settings
are annoying me (and it seems I'm not the only one who it annoys in this
case), I investigate how they can be improved.

This way I can help make sure that gEDA is user-friendly "out of the box".
"Our defaults suck but you can configure it easily!!!!111" is a lame excuse,
IMHO.

                                      Peter

--
Peter Brett